Thursday, January 19, 2012

Parenting is just plain difficult - for dads, too.

The title of this post is a little misleading coming from my perspective because I am not a parent (and I am especially not a dad). Still, I was derailed from another task by this article on UT's homepage. It is written by Aaron Rochlen, one of my former professors from the Counseling program at UT who conducts a lot of research on men's issues (depression, parenting related to gender roles). While men are often in the majority (see money or power for a review), Dr. Rochlen has uncovered several areas where men receive less attention and may suffer as a result of the lack of awareness. I find his research pretty interesting in general; if you have a minute, give it a read: http://www.utexas.edu/features/2012/01/09/faculty_dads/

TL; DR (A Reddit-ism I learned from..well...Reddit which means too long; didn't read):
In sum, striking a work/life balance is increasingly tricky, especially in an unforgiving career such as academia. Jason and I were just talking about this a few days ago. While we want it all, it seems very difficult to achieve that.

Solutions:
1. Get rich quick (ponzi? write a book? become famous?)
2. Have lots of friends with babies (still reap cute benefits and you can return them)
3. Have a minimally successful career with a flourishing family
4. Graduate and worry about it later

If this is something with which you struggle, what strategies do you employ as you work towards having it all?

No comments:

Post a Comment