Nancy (my traveling partner/friend/tutor/ a million other titles) and I started yesterday's adventures in Madrid at the Museo del Prado. Upon our entrance, they saw my laptop (Matilda the Macbook) in my bag and asked me check it in a coatroom. I had taken my beach bag into town, a purchase from Walgreens made for $5 over a year ago, so I could carry a myriad of tools to assist us on our journey. Well, we were sneaky and pretended to check my computer in the room off to the left, but we really dodged into an elevator and fled the security guards. They didn't seem to care, but my bag sure did! About 10 minutes into museum exploration, my bag ripped under my laptop's weight! I spent the next 3 hours of artwork admiration with my hand on the bottom on my bag, coaxing my belongings to stay put. It was awesome!
After the museum, we were walking around Madrid on the hunt for gifts to bring back for all of you and we decided to take a risk and explore sans map. We have ventured into the city a few times now, but in all cases were we under the supervision and guidance of knowledgeable residents. In other words, we were being brave by going it alone!!
Now, as all women know, shopping makes us verrry tired and verrry hungry, and Nance and I were over Spanish cuisine. We made a very important choice between McDonald's and Burger King; the policeman we consulted for directions agreed with our choice. On the way to find Burger King, I spied a TopShop. This is a store I have read about in many magazines and celebrities always rave about its affordability and array of choices.
After lunch, we tried to retrace our steps and check TopShop out. At this point, I am still holding my bag together and it continues to tear. I finally decided to carry it upside-down. I felt like I was with child; a big, disfigured, black and pink child with useless straps. After about 45 minutes, we still weren't having any luck finding the shop so we decided to check out some of the other stores. As we made our way down a row of them, we happened upon the Holy Grail! It sparkled and shone with such elegance! We nearly floated in and immediately began to peruse the merchandise. Many stores here are built vertically to conserve space, so there are multiple small floors.
Okay, so we weren't impressed with the first floor, but there were still two others remaining! No big deal!!! We eagerly climbed the steps to the second floor. We found ourselves thinking (as we held the fabric): "Well, maybe if this were longer, shorter, with less bows, with more design, had fewer bedazzled jewels, in a different color than our highlighters," and so forth. As you can imagine, the third floor was even more disappointing and, with heads bowed in defeat, we began our descent from the final story. All of the sudden, Nancy starts chucking and looks at me. She exclaims "You know, this is like having a crush on a boy for three years, then finally sleeping with him, and finding out he is terrible in bed!" I started howling in the store and the two of us proverbially collapsed into giggles as we swiftly made our exit. In the end, TopShop gave us exactly what we needed. Thank you, Vogue.
Five hours later, I am still with awkward child and she continues to become more awkward, so we find the nearest tourist shop and I pluck a khaki colored tote bag from the wall. I decide that I should revel in my tourist status and I pick the most conspicuous design. I am now the proud owner of a MADRID-MADRID-MADRID-MADRID bag. The pattern repeats itself somewhere into infinity and I am positively glowing, despite the knowing disapproval of the residents who thought my bag was ugly to begin with.
Adios, mis amigos!
all that for a totes bag.. hmmm
ReplyDeleteAll in a day's work! Do we know each other (friends IRL) or do you exist in cyberspace solamente?
ReplyDeleteWho is that sexy lady looking like the ultimate tourist in Spain?
ReplyDeleteOhh, me me me me me!! :) But, don't be fooled. I am evidently the world's WORST traveler! I am going to dedicate an entire blog to illustrate this point.
ReplyDeleteConsider me a secret admirer :)
ReplyDeleteYou look like Victoria Beckham in this picture.
A secret admirer, eh? Intriguing! I have a boyfriend but I think he might be willing to negotiate.
ReplyDeleteIt's okay, he is a scrub. Beautiful women like you deserve nice men, and.. nice bags. Perhaps your boyfriend has "MADRID MADRID MADRID" written all over him as well?
ReplyDelete