Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Microwave

As I type this blog, I can't help but feel like Carrie for a second, sans Jimmy Choos. Okay, now to the story...

Have you ever had a friend do something sweet for you? Maybe like bequeathing you items for your new apartment? Well, we have such a friend/family member (thanks, Alyssa) and we inherited a few treasured possessions: shower caddy, Swiffer, Brita pitcher, and a microwave. NYC is teaching me many regional lessons. For example, if you lived in most anywhere else in America, you'd probably drive to pick up said items, stuff them in your backseat, and move on. Well, not in NYC where personal cars are cumbersome...here we take subways, buses, and feets - EVERYWHERE.


So maybe we (ahem, Jason) carried a microwave across two boroughs. 

First we waited for subway #1
Then we boarded subway #1. As you can see, Jason is super excited
I am taking his pictures all over town.
Now we're on transfer subway #2
And walking down one street...
Annnnd another. This is our local grocer (in case you are interested)
where you can purchase a single tomato for $5.
This lucky microwave got to see so much of NYC in its 45 minute journey. She turned out to be quite the conversation starter. One nomadic fellow wondered if we would warm our morning beverages ("Yo, you gonna make some hot tea in there? [insert odd cackle]" while another was convinced Jason used it to pick me up. I know people must be forced to travel with odd items regularly but I hadn't seen evidence of it myself. I wondered if we'd be the punchline of someone else's blog post until I saw this...


Okay, not him but I did see this, clocked at 1:35 am on Saturday night. 


The picture is a little blurry but homegirl was returning from a surf trip, by herself, at one o'clock in the morning. She wins. I will keep you posted if anyone ousts her as most interesting subway passenger. Alyssa (savvy Manhattanite cousin, previous owner of the traveling microwave) once sent me a picture of someone sitting in their lazy boy and another of a goat on the subway.


Blog post #2 - update on other NYC living experiences/purchases

If you come to visit (and you love crepes) we are going here. Behold - the apples, brie, honey, balsamic, salt/pepper, arugula crepe. We found it at the Chelsea Marketplace.



We are considering this Crate & Barrel bedding but I wanted to see what it looks like outside of the showroom. Methinks not bad! Perhaps we'd replace the sheets for something less bananas.



Here's some of the IKEA furniture Jason built sitting in our bedroom. In case you are curious, yes...that is a full bed and its shoved up against the wall as far as it would let me. I'll post another pic when the room is complete. Mattresses are on the way, as are our THIRD and FOURTH roommates!

Oh lawd - this caddy was one of the most challenging purchases yet. 


Prior to its purchase, we'd be balancing the day's purchases all over town  like Christmas trees. Admittedly, I took the form of a Charlie Brown Tree to Jason's Griswold Christmas masterpiece.
Jason


Jaimie
Long story short, the caddy saved our butts. Now we can bring back things like this! IKEA makes a cool scarf organizer and it's currently hanging off the side of our armoire. For a girl from two incredibly warm states, why the h-e-double hockey sticks I have so many scarves is beyond me!

Okay, I think that's all for now. We did venture out to the movies tonight and realized the price is only two times a Texas ticket. Sigh. Also, go see The Campaign. So good!

No comments:

Post a Comment