Wednesday, December 29, 2010

No one's asked me, but if they did...


I've not been contacted by anyone from ESPN, CNN, MSNBC, or even Fox to rant publicly on the matter of Michael Vick v. dog fighting (shocking, I know) but if they did contact me, here's what I would suggest:

Michael Vick, there are three objective truths about you: 1) You are a fantastic football player. 2) You make a lot of money. 3) You made very poor decisions and did not value creatures who are affectionally labeled "Man's Best Friend". In sum, you were an ass. I am not often a fan of using such profane language in my blog regardless of how I might speak in real life, but I think there are some circumstances for which it is necessary. A classification such as "jerk" doesn't quite cut it. I digress.

President Obama recently phoned the owner of the Philadelphia Eagles praising him on recruiting Vick to his team. I understand the larger picture might have been addressing the difficulties many prisoners face when returning from their sentences, but Obama must realize his conversations are magnified for a country, a world to hear. I am sure this isn't news to him and I quite like Obama most of the time, but choosing Vick's recent employment as a forum to address a larger issue was wholly inappropriate in my humble opinion.

While I do not generally subscribe to the old eye for an eye adage, I do think the criminal justice system could stand to shed its myopic lens. Serving time should be only part of a criminal's sentence. For example, while I appreciate that Vick was forced to serve his time, I frankly don't think he should be allowed to play professional football again. I realize his crime had little to do with football, however Vick's fame could be utilized in so many beneficial ways for the anti-dog fighting community (this includes most of us, I hope).

For starters, employ Vick to speak in areas where dog fighting is presumed to be prevalent. He could join forces with or spearhead an organization dedicated to the rescue and rehabilitation of dog fighting victims. Use his celebrity to thwart the very crime he committed. People are sure to listen more closely to him than an individual whom they've never met and frankly don't care about. While I haven't gone to law school, I am certain this isn't a novel concept.

We live in a country where Paris Hilton is more popular than Hilda Solis-have you ever heard of her? She is our country's Secretary of Labor and has done incredible work for our country. And yet, if either woman were slated to speak on an issue, whose presentation will be better attended? Michael Vick would be the perfect face of anti-animal cruelty campaign. He is currently working on the Michael Vick Project (watch it here: http://www.bet.com/video/888718), which I do appreciate. In the show opener, he states that part of his work in the project is to restore his family's good name. This irks me-Vick, it's about facing your terrible choices and taking responsibility for reaching others who share your pastime. Regardless, I am glad he is working with the Humane Society but he should be devoting all of his time to this.

Anyhow, America, think about it. Or at least the 3 people who read my blog. :)

From the Law-ish Offices of J.M. Krause.

4 comments:

  1. To start off, I am no Michael Vick fan and cheer against him as his crimes make me sick. Personally I think the failure of the justice system came in the minimal amount of time he spent in jail. For whatever reason we as a society view cruelty to animals as much less than it is. The blatant disregard that Michael showed for the lives of the dogs is most likely restricted to animals. Most serial killers got started with animal mutilation and it really isn't as far of a step to go from animals to people as most would like to think. So, personally I think I he should still be behind bars and undergoing serious psychological counseling. Anyways, there are my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you said Jaimie and totally agree with Tanner that pysch counseling better be happening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Jamie, not only three read your blog. Greetings from México City.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Catalina! Thanks for reading. (And hi Caelie and Tanner, too!)

    ReplyDelete