Friday, May 14, 2010

An Ode to Vicodin

Ouch, just plain ouch! For those of you who don't know, I am on Day One of surgery recovery. I have a really fun girl condition called endometriosis, which basically means that once/month it feels like someone takes a small dagger and stabs my insides repeatedly for 15 second intervals. Let's just say that I have that lamaze thing down pat!

I was rather nervous the day of surgery since the only other experience I've had with being sliced open was a recent wisdom teeth removal. I had a few friends who shared their experiences with me for the laparoscopy (lap) and hysteroscopy (hyst), and most of them recounted much easier recovery and surgical experiences than those of my friends who disclosed their wisdom teeth horrors. Though the pre-op procedures for the lap/hyst were MUCH scarier (think hospital setting, hospital gown, disposable pants, footies, and hair net) and kind of weird (I had the iv in and they wheeled me into the OR. I had to walk from one bed to the operating table and sit on it!)-very strange!! Bobby said I looked like a blue cafeteria lady. In retrospect, I should have posed in my Smurf-like sartorial splendor.

Kind of like him:
Bobby graciously took the day off of work to be my chauffeur and nurse. I have neglected to mention that Bobby also fasted with me in solidarity and also took some rather icky medicine which makes you...well, you know...he did that, too! His loyalty knows no bounds!

Right before the surgery, I was starting to freak out. Bobby brought the laptop over (yes, Matilda was there too!) and presented the website http://kittenwar.com/ and we voted on the cutest kittens! He also read me highlights from http://www.fmylife.com/ . Before long, I was definitely giggling.

I clearly don't remember much after that. I woke up in the recovery room and had a tough time staying awake. Here's where the fun begins! I felt like I was pregnant and floating on a cloud. Part of the surgery requires that your insides be filled with gas so the doctors can better access your organs. Specifically, they filled up my uterus so I looked like I was in my second trimester. I still kind of do. :)

The anesthesia and percocet combination left me incredibly itchy. I sort of felt like a crack addict. Listen up, crackheads-I found a cure for us! Go to Bath and Bodyworks and invest in some Rosemary Mint lotion. It is so soothing. I can't help with the addicted to crack part, but at least you won't itch anymore!!
I have two small incisions on my tummy (one on my bellybutton and one below it), but because I pierced my bellybutton in high school, I don't even think the bellybutton scar will be visible underneath the little hole I already have in my tummy! That was so smart on my part! I knew it would pay off! :) The heating pad has become my best friend, and because cats love warmth, it has also become my cat's best friend. Tabitha is having a hard time understanding why I won't let her lay on my tummy right now. In defiance, she is taking the liberty of sampling any unguarded beverages/plants in my house. Although the title of this blog entry is "An Ode to Vicodin" I actually quite disappointed with my pain meds. I wish they sent me home with an iv of anesthesia instead! I digress...

It's no secret that I have wonderful people in my life. I took a pic of my loot, so far. If you plan on getting sick or having surgery, i highly recommend befriending some of my friends. :)

And one of our favorite visitors, Sky's boyfriend. They even got matching haircuts!!

2 comments:

  1. oh wow, i thought i was the only one with this condition. i was diagnosed with last year with stage 1 and have been on hormone treatment ever since--it has helped tremendously. i remember when i experienced pelvic pain during college, and the doctor there kept accusing me of having stds and encouraging me to get tested even though i already been, but she didn't believe me.

    rest up!!
    molly w.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, Molly. I'm sorry you deal with this, too. Not fun at all!! Thank you for your well wishes. :) Your doctors were not very nice...I had to try out a few doctors myself before I was taken seriously. But now, I have pics to prove it (and some puncture wounds in my tummy)!! I hope you keep on feeling great-I'll be there soon, too!

    Best,
    J

    ReplyDelete