Monday, April 12, 2010

Elton Sparkles and Cartwheels Through His Austin Concert

Katie, a recent blog feature (pictured a few blogs ago with her pup, Gomez), accompanied me to the Elton John concert this past weekend. I impulsively purchased these tickets because...well, it's ELTON JOHN. He is a legend and I couldn't risk losing another cultural/historical experience (a la Michael Jackson) where I promised myself I'd see him one day. Friends, Saturday was the day. Saturday, we saw the ROCKET MAN.

First, let me preface this blog by stating that (before this concert), I probably couldn't have named 5 Elton songs off the top of my head. In fact, I was keeping count of songs I had heard before. I think he sang about 10 I knew. Never mind, I am getting ahead of myself. It all started when we climbed to our seats.

Yes, climbed. These tickets sold out in 10 minutes, so I just wanted 2 seats together. I am horrible at interpreting seating charts, so I just gave up when purchasing these. In retrospect, I am glad that I ignored that resource. It was so much better to experience it firsthand. When Katie showed her ticket to the usher, she was told to hit the wall and turn right. I have never felt fearful of the location of my seats at any show before, until now. Katie and I were up against the wall, sitting in the last possible seats in the Frank Erwin Center. At first, we were slightly bummed until we realized that we could DANCE THE ENTIRE TIME AND NO ONE COULD SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT. And dance we did. Katie taught me ballet moves from her classes at age 5. I was doing some terrible version of a shimmy that didn't really work with the music. It was epic.

Some favorite concert moments:
  • Freddy's text message: "Can you feel the love tonight like a candle in the wind now that you're in the world? That's all I know."
  • Elton's piano cartwheel
  • Elton's bedazzled tuxedo jacket with tails to his feet
  • Elton's diverse fans and their attire (think feather boas, sequins, and glitter)
  • Katie and I wondering where we should sit if our tickets say "stage right of Elton" in the place of a row and seat
  • Backup dancing, singing, screaming, song requesting, song familiarity statistical updates
  • Katie and I performing tandem sunbursts to "Your Song"
  • Attempting to befriend our neighbors and the subsequent friendship rejection
**Will add photos tonight, when I can better feel the love

No comments:

Post a Comment