Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Lucky, Lucky, Lucky

I am reflecting on this holiday season and I have come to the conclusion that I am just plain lucky. I live with two of my favorite people in the world in one of the coolest cities in the world in one of the cutest, coziest little apartments. Even though the adjustment to NYC has not been easy, it has been aided by the holidays. It really is magical in New York this time of year. I don't even mind the tourists right now who don't know about the New York run/ speed walk. I know all about the intensity of NY foot traffic transportation and I pretty much fly through the city now. I haven't mastered the speed walk in heels but it's only a matter of time!
                             
Back to my roommates - we had a delightful little Christmas. We had a Charlie Brown tree (see above) and maybe I forgot that Jason and I have an ornament tradition. :) Oops. Our tree is plus one sock monkey and will be plus one something else when Jason returns.

Anyhow, both of my roommates spoil me rotten with lots of things - attention, patience, love...trust me, I require a lot of that stuff. Let's face it: you have to be a special kind of someone to tolerate my moderate OCD tendencies, among other delightful personality quirks. Yesterday those things by which I was spoiled were gifts.  I seriously made out like a bandit. Disclaimer: the reason for the season (for me) is spending time with and cherishing loved ones. Although the sole focus of the holidays is not gifting, it sure doesn't hurt. :) And, it should also be noted that although I did receive some incredible items, my favorite part of the holidays has been having Jason home. I get to see Ash a lot because nurses don't take work home with them so when she's off work, she almost always mine. :) Jason, however, has been known to log some serious hours at the office. While I admire his work ethic and am inspired by his work, but there's nothing like having him home.

We also got to have Alyssa over, which is always a treat! Speaking of treats, she brought over an amazing lemon tart. Nom, nom, nom! Coupled with Ashley's homemade matzo ball soup, I was in heaven! Alyssa spent Christmas day with us and played the most epic game of Cards Against Humanity (one of Jason's presents). Of course Jason emerged the victor but we all had a blast! I just love being surrounded by those three. All we were missing is Phil and Ale.

While I'm musing on holiday cheer, I loved all of the holidays cards we have received from family and friends. It warms my heart seeing you, your children, and your pets all smiles and gussied up for the occasion. It's wonderful to see everyone so joyful! If you were a lucky recipient of my parents' holiday card...well, go ahead and buy a lottery ticket. That one's for the books. Ha!

Sigh, 2012 is ending with such a bang; here's to hoping for the best new year yet! So much happened in 2012: graduation from UT with my Ph.D., engagement to Jason, move to NYC with Jason and Ash, job at City College, visits from amazing friends... I am really looking forward to what 2013 brings. I suspect it will be even more awesome! Hoping you and yours have an equally wonderful holiday season. Here's to also hoping I can find the twenty seconds it will take to reformat my blog and figure out how to align the pics in a more artful way.

**Appendix**
As I am spreading gratitude, I would also like to thank Pinterest because it is the best elf out there. I posted a few of the gems my roommates bestowed upon me this season below because I really am blown away by their generosity. Let's just say I am going to be the hippest most fashionable chick this side of the Missip. Thanks Jason and Ash! Mom, Dad, and Grammie - thanks for funding my shopping spree! Phil, thanks for the dress! You and Ash have great taste. :) Also, now that I am the proud owner of lulu lemon workout attire, I guess this means I have to actually go running. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment