Sunday, November 4, 2012

Winter?

This matrix is the product of a few things. I realized I had been keeping a tally in my head of how to dress appropriately for the weather everyday since it's become clear eighty degrees is long gone. I also realize this is the kind of list a parent might give to their underprepared for life 18-year-old heading for independent college living for the first time, but so be it. The truth of it is this: if I don't think about the weather in these terms, I will most certainly be cold/wet/miserable/grumpy. Additionally, since I need that cognitive space for other valuable gems - like any good nerd - I decided to create an Excel spreadsheet. After gathering qualitative data (self case study, interviews of co-workers, friends, and assorted New Yorkers), here's where I'm at:


I should also mention we're expecting a nor'easter this week, about which I am as familiar as the Loch Ness monster. Despite that I tell my students to never look for answers on Wikipedia, do as I say...

A nor'easter is a type of macro-scale storm along the East Coast of the United States and Atlantic Canada, so named because the storm travels to the northeast from the south and the winds come from the northeast, especially in the coastal areas of New England and Atlantic Canada. This type of storm has characteristics similar to a hurricane. More specifically it describes a low-pressure area whose center of rotation is just off the East Coast and whose leading winds in the left forward quadrant rotate onto land from the northeast. The precipitation pattern is similar to that of other extratropical storms. Nor'easters usually cause severe coastal floodingcoastal erosionhurricane force winds or blizzard conditions; these conditions are usually accompanied with very heavy snow or rain, depending on when the storm occurs. Nor'easters can occur at any time of the year but are known mostly for their presence in the winter season. Nor'easters can be devastating and damaging, especially in the winter months, when most damage and deaths are cold-related, as nor'easters are known for bringing extremely cold air down from the Arctic air mass. 

In case ANYONE is curious and needs to get me a gift, here is the sleeping bag with arms I want:

It looks like I may add another column to my Excel sheet of doom. Stay tuned. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment