Okay, I've done it. I've created a document called "DISSERTATION" on my laptop. If I thought the creation of the document felt amazing, I am feeling even better that it has 7 pages of text. Three pages away from a complete Chapter 1. I'm not saying it's the final iteration of Chapter 1; heck, I'm not even saying it's good, but it's THERE. On paper. It's happening!
I have been feeling very stressed about the process since I had no tangible product of my work. I've been reading and researching and talking and meeting, but I have nothing to show for it. Then, something occurred to me: I'm not honoring my process. You know, the one that works for me and only me (and maybe other people, too but definitely me)? So I started writing. In one day I wrote 7 pages. I am ecstatic! 7 down, 200 to go! When I need to find research on X topic, I find it. Or Jason finds it. His research skills are far superior to mine and I am perfectly okay with that. I have other folks who have been super helpful already and I'm only on page 7. I am starting to tally my acknowledgements section: Jason, Carlton, Breana, Nancy, Katie, Abby, John, De, Bryan, Tabitha, my family, and my committee (Kristin, Claire Ellen, Marie, Diane, and Russ). This list is bound to grow in the next few months, days...heck, even hours!
Now if my Chair and I could agree on a theoretical model...
No comments:
Post a Comment