It is a well-known fact that I am not good at organized religion. I would never begrudge someone for practicing a religion or a personal form of spirituality (provided no one is being hurt in the process). Far be it from me to judge, mandate, or damn anyone based on their belief system. In fact, one of my favorite quotes is from Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi, a 13th century Sufi poet and philosopher--you might know him as simply "Rumi". In his poem Spring Giddiness, he wrote: "There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground." I love this, but I found some folks who may not.
On the retail website Stand For Christmas (http://www.standforchristmas.com/), shoppers have the opportunity to rate popular stores like Bed, Bath, & Beyond, Nordstrom, and the GAP on customer service and Christmas spirit. Retailers receive ratings such as "Christmas-friendly, Christmas-negligent, and Christmas-offensive". As you might imagine, Christmas spirit is not simply defined by volume of snowflakes present in displays, the quality of the life-sized galloping Ruldoph, or the size of those chestnuts roasting on an open fire. No, my friends...take a gander at a few of the *warnings* shoppers issue fellow Spirit Seekers:
Comment Date: Dec 1 2009 11:41 AM
Rating: Christmas-Offensive
Comment: First thing I notice [at the GAP] is that they are only playing non-Christian Christmas songs (Jingle Bells, etc.). Unacceptable. I ask a clerk, "What is the reason for the season?" and I get back "What?". I buy a shirt and when they ask me what kind of wrapping paper, I reply that I want nativity paper or something showing the baby Jesus. They say they only have snowflakes and snowmen and green/red paper. What does green and red have to do with JESUS?
Rating: Christmas-Offensive
Comment: First thing I notice [at the GAP] is that they are only playing non-Christian Christmas songs (Jingle Bells, etc.). Unacceptable. I ask a clerk, "What is the reason for the season?" and I get back "What?". I buy a shirt and when they ask me what kind of wrapping paper, I reply that I want nativity paper or something showing the baby Jesus. They say they only have snowflakes and snowmen and green/red paper. What does green and red have to do with JESUS?
Comment Date: Nov 28 2009 9:49 AM
Rating: Christmas-Negligent
Comment: I actually walked into the store, [Home Depot]. Saw "holiday" poinsettas, "holiday" trees. Spoke directly to manager who advised, it's store policy from corporate. I politely told him I'd be going to Lowes.
Rating: Christmas-Negligent
Comment: I actually walked into the store, [Home Depot]. Saw "holiday" poinsettas, "holiday" trees. Spoke directly to manager who advised, it's store policy from corporate. I politely told him I'd be going to Lowes.
Comment Date: Nov 29 2009 5:36 PM
Rating: Christmas-Offensive
Comment: Went to [the Barnes and Noble] Web Site and not one featured book was about Christmas. Even the Children"s book feature was Green Eggs and Ham not the Grinch Who Stole Christmas.
Rating: Christmas-Offensive
Comment: Went to [the Barnes and Noble] Web Site and not one featured book was about Christmas. Even the Children"s book feature was Green Eggs and Ham not the Grinch Who Stole Christmas.
Here's the irony, I love Christmas! I love the smells, the songs, the cheer, the decorations, the food...bring it! If someone said Merry Christmas to me, I would absolutely wish them a Merry Christmas back. To me, this demonstrates part of my issue with what Christmas has become. Shoppers, if you want to celebrate Jesus, go to an institution designated to do so. Have a Christmas party! Decorate your lawn with a nativity scene. Christmas isn't really about presents, is it? I thought, according to Christianity, Christmas is actually the celebration of the birth of Jesus. Why then would the GAP, a public entity which serves all kinds of people, dress a mannequin as Jesus Christ? Why should Bed, Bath, & Beyond choose to house a Santa riding their day bed and his reindeer pulling it down the aisle? Why should any of the stores care if the some of us in this world honor this holiday? To me, that seems really inappropriate. I don't really know what you're looking for these stores to do for you, dear shoppers. Would you like to be doused with red and green glitter as you enter, with little Happy Birthday Jesus confetti pieces interspersed? I mean no disrespect to anyone, as I understand (especially after visiting Spain this summer) the magnitude with which Jesus is revered on this planet. All I'm asking is that those needing a little Christmas respect those of us who need a little Kwnazaa or a little Hanukkah or a little Bodhi Day or a little Dong zhi or a little Diwali-the list goes on...
Look at all of these alternatives to Christmas that other people observe. Amazing, isn't it? There's a whole world out there and I think it's a little self-righteous that only one belief should be displayed at Macy's.
My favorite HOLIDAY ad:

OMG, I'm so glad you said this. My stepdad's mom is one of the people that is all offended by the "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" stuff. I don't get it. Who friggin' cares? No one is trying to stop people from celebrating Christmas.
ReplyDeleteAt the same time, I think businesses have switched to the Happy Holidays because people were offended by Merry Christmas. I don't understand that either. If someone said Happy Hanukkah or Happy Kwanza or I walked into a store with that displayed, I wouldn't be put off. Unfortunately, Christmas seems to be the ONLY one ever displayed and I think we should honor, respect, and value all of them.
I guess it's just easier to say Happy Holidays than all three.
I'm rambling, on your blog, sorry.
i say what
ReplyDeleteis the reason
for the season
let me hear you say
/what/
say /what/